Wednesday, November 28, 2007

#15 Web 2.0

I wish I had more time and skill to devote to learning about this wide new world of web technology! There is just so much more out there to discover. I still feel like a novice but I am glad to have been able to dip my toe in the water and try some of these new things. It is great to see Library staff embracing this learning opportunity and learning a whole new language and set of skills to use with our customers. As more of our users become familiar with these tools to organise and retrieve information they will be expecting us to be able to assist them or at least to understand what they are talking about!
As Michael Stephens said in the OCLC newsletter "User-centered libraries breakdown barriers and allow users access wherever they are: home, work, commuting, school, or at the library."
I have a lot of friends who are teachers and they say that younger staff at their schools are all using blogs and myspace or facebook and they want to know more about it too. I am happy to be able to say I am working on these as part of the web 2.0 program and my employer is actively encouraging this training!
cheers
sblog

No comments: